All About Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning Press Today

Dos and Don'ts When You Find Mould in Your Home

Oct 9

Mould in your home can be a serious health concern, yet it is often something many of us don’t think about. Even in well-maintained homes, mould can grow quickly and without our knowledge. To keep your family safe, it’s important to understand the risks and importance of mould.

In this article, we will discuss dos and don'ts when detecting mould in your home.


Understanding the risks and importance of mould

Mould presents several risks to your home and the occupants. It's estimated that over 50% of homes have some form of mould infestation, with an increase during the wetter months. Exposure to mould can cause a range of symptoms, from mild eye and skin irritation to asthma and breathing difficulties. Long-term exposure can even result in major respiratory illnesses in more severe cases. Therefore, mould needs to be managed carefully and treated with respect. It's also important to know where the source of the mould is and how it started growing in the first place.

Signs of Mould

If you suspect you may have mould in your home, particularly in areas with high humidity, such as kitchens and bathrooms, there are some simple signs to look out for. Firstly, watch out for any discolouration on walls, floors or furniture. If you notice some spots or patches that differ in colour from the rest of the room, they could be signs of mould growth. If these are near heat sources or in areas of high humidity, then that is a clear indication of mould being present. Secondly, if you smell a musty odour when entering a room, that is a tell-tale sign of mould being present.

Dos for Dealing with Mould

When it comes to dealing with mould, there are a few important dos to bear in mind. Safety is the most important. Cover yourself with protective clothing, goggles and masks before approaching any mould. You'll need to start cleaning once you’re equipped with the right safety gear. Use a combination of detergent and water to remove any surface mould. Be sure to wipe away all traces of the mould and then disinfect the area with a bleach solution. After cleaning the area, it’s important to dry it thoroughly to prevent further mould growth.

Don’ts for Dealing with Mould

Just as important as the dos for dealing with mould, there are also important don’ts that should be followed to ensure safe mould removal. For starters, never attempt to paint over mould or try to cover it up. This will only lock the moisture within the wall and worsen the problem. Secondly, do not try to use any DIY remedies when dealing with mould. These are generally not effective and can put your health at risk. Thirdly, never mix different cleaning agents together. This can produce dangerous fumes and should be avoided.


Prevention Measures

The best way to deal with mould is to prevent it from growing in the first place. So whether it’s a damp basement or a steamy bathroom, there are several measures you can take to help reduce the risk of mould growth. Firstly, install extraction fans in rooms with high humidity levels and run them regularly. Secondly, repair any leaking pipes or plumbing fixtures promptly. Thirdly, use dehumidifiers to reduce the moisture content of the air in your home. Finally, use a quality paint to seal walls and surfaces, ensuring it’s properly ventilated when used.

Professional Help

In more serious cases of mould infestation, it’s best to call in a professional. A certified mould removal specialist will be able to properly identify the source of the mould, advise on the necessary remediation work and carry out the correct treatment to prevent further mould growth. You can find more information about getting the help of a professional.


Finding mould in your home is no laughing matter, and the risks associated with it should not be taken lightly. If you notice any signs of mould in your home, make sure you follow relevant dos and don’ts when dealing with it. Prevention is also key! Installing extraction fans, repairing leaks and using dehumidifiers go a long way in preventing mould growth. In more severe cases, it’s best to contact a specialist to eliminate mould from your home completely.